NeXTstation was a high-end workstation computer developed, manufactured and sold by NeXT from 1990 until 1993. It ran the NeXTSTEP operating system. The NeXTstation was released as a more affordable alternative to the NeXTcube at about US $4,995 or about half the price. Several models were produced, including the NeXTstation (25 MHz), NeXTstation Turbo (33 MHz), NeXTstation Color (25 MHz) and NeXTstation Turbo Color (33 MHz). In total, NeXT sold about 50,000 computers (not including sales to government organizations), making the NeXTstation today a rarity as many units have since stopped working.
The NeXTstation came with a NeXT MegaPixel 17" monitor (with built-in speakers) and a keyboard and mouse. It was affectionately known as "the slab", since the flat shape contrasted quite sharply with the original NeXT Computer (otherwise known as "the cube").
* Keyboard: Full-stroke mechanical, 85 keys,
* Mouse: 2 button opto-mechanical
* Central processing unit: Motorola 68040, 25 MHz or 33 MHz (Turbo)
* Memory: 8 MB (8 MiB) (12 MB for a NeXTstation Color), up to 32 MB in non-Turbo models, 128 MB in Turbos
* Display resolution: 1120 × 832
* Colors: NeXTstation: 4 (black, white and two shades of gray)
o NeXTstation Color: 4,096 colors (12-bit) with 4-bit alpha channel
* Digital signal processor Motorola 56001 @ 25 MHz (16 bits, 44.1 kHz, stereo, 24 kB (24 KiB) RAM upgradable to 576 kB)
* Speaker built-in the monitor
* Size/Weight: 39.8 (W) x 36.5 (D) x 6.4 (H) cm / 6 kg
* Input/Output: SCSI internal connector, SCSI2 external port, DSP, video output, proprietary port for NeXT laser printer, two RS-423 serial ports, 10BASE-T and 10BASE-2 Ethernet
* Media: 3.5 in floppy disk drive (2.88 MB (2880 KiB)), hard disk from 105 MB (105 million bytes) to 4 GB (4 billion bytes). (Larger sizes may work but the OS cannot use partitions larger than 4 GB)
* Operating System: NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP. NetBSD supports some of the NeXTstation's hardware.
* Peripherals: Modem
* Pricing: NeXTstation US $4,995, NeXTstation Color US $7,995, NeXTstation Turbo US $6,500
NeXTstation Mdel No. N1100, Part No, 1715, Serial No. ABB0010248
NeXTMegapixel Dsplay Model N4000A, Part No/ 1403, Serial No. AAA7003579
Our NeXTstation N1100 together with the monitor, keyboard and mouse were very kindly donated by Paul Rooney
Magazines RELATED to NeXTstation N1100 in our Library
Other Systems Related To NeXTstation N1100:
This exhibit has a reference ID of CH11515. Please quote this reference ID in any communication with the Centre for Computing History.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail