The Atari Mega STE was Atari Corporation's last ST series machine. Taking something from all the 680x0-based machines they had produced, they had the idea to create a more business-like version of their main machine using the new features of the STE, the actual case designed for the TT, plus some other features.
The MEGA STE is based on STE hardware. Physically, the 2 MB and 4 MB models shipped with a high resolution mono monitor, and an internal ACSI hard disk (the 1 MB model included neither a monitor, hard disk, nor hard disk controller). Despite offering better ST compatibility than the TT, it also included a number of TT features, from the ST-grey version of the TT case with separate keyboard and system unit, optional FPU, a VMEbus slot, two extra RS232 ports (all 9-pin rather than 25-pin as previous models had), a LocalTalk/RS-422 port (no AppleTalk software was ever produced) and a 1.44 MB HD floppy support. Support for a third/middle mouse button was included, too.
A unique feature of the MEGA STE was the software-switchable CPU speed, which could run at 16 MHz, or 8 MHz for better compatibility with old software. An upgrade to the OS was also included, initially shipping with TOS 2.0 and later 2.6/2.06.
VME bus brought some interesting boards enhancing the computuer's capabilities such as graphic cards or Ethernet connection.
* CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 8 or 16 MHz
* FPU: Motorola 68881 or Motorola 68882
* RAM: 1, 2 or 4 MB ST RAM expandable to 4 MB using 30-pin SIMMs
* Sound: Yamaha YM2149 + enhanced sound chip same as in STe
* Drive: 720 KB (first MEGA STE version) or 1.44 MB (later version) 3½" floppy disk drive
* Ports: MIDI In/Out, 3 x RS-232, "Serial LAN" LocalTalk/RS-422, printer, monitor (RGB and Mono), RF modulator, extra disk drive port, ACSI port, VMEbus inside case, detachable keyboard, joystick and mouse ports on keyboard
* Operating System: TOS (The Operating System) with the Graphical Environment Manager (GEM) graphical user interface (GUI) TOS versions: 2.05 in ROM or 2.06 in ROM
* Display modes: 320×200 (16 color), 640×200 (4 colours), 640×400 (mono)
* Case: Two-piece desktop-style.
* Release date: 1991
Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_MEGA_STE
Serial No: 1BAA4023438 - kindly donated by Paula from Norfolk
Comment on This Page
Magazines RELATED to Atari Mega/STE in our Library
Catalogues RELATED to Atari Mega/STE in our Library
Other Systems Related To Atari Mega/STE:
This exhibit has a reference ID of CH2577. Please quote this reference ID in any communication with the Centre for Computing History.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail
David Arnold and the Atari ST Computer