Dennert & Pape Aristo Electro 814c Slide rule
Aristo was a slide rule manufacturer since 1872. Dennert & Pape was founded by Johann Dennert & Martin Pape, in Hamburg, Germany, and continued under that name until 1936. D&P were the first to laminate and engrave celluloid on boxwood wood slide rules in 1886. Mahogany was used after 1888 and in 1902 started producing slide rules using the System Rietz scales designed by Max Rietz. In 1924 D&P introduced the System Darmstadt slide rule, based on the scales set designed by Prof. Dr. Alwin Walther and began using 'DUPA' as a trademark from 1924 to 1936. All plastic slide rules, using Astrolon for the stock and Plexiglas for the cursor, wereintroduced in 1936 using the trademark 'Aristo'. D&P officially became Aristo as a company in 1948 when they introduced all-plastic Duplex slide rules and discontinued mahogany wood models. Aristo stayed in the slide rule business until the end of 1978, a run of 106 years. Aristo was one of the most important slide rule manufacturers world wide.
Aristo 814 Elektro - Date Code 515 - c1955
Made in Hamburg, Germany by Dennert & Pape
Front Scale (extended)
13cm // LL2, A (Kw) [ B (Hp), CI, C] D, LL3
Front Well: V, D/M = G/M (3~)
Back Scale: 5in [ Sin, Lg, Tg ]
Additional Cursor hairline on slide
Gauge points for resistance of metal wire
Our slide rule complete with leather case was very kindly donated by Mike Edwards
Manufacturer: Dennert & Pape
This exhibit has a reference ID of CH6048. Please quote this reference ID in any communication with the Centre for Computing History.