8th April 2021
Since our previous update, the following material has been scanned, catalogued and uploaded:
David Caminer papers
I have continued work on the papers of LEO programming pioneer David Tresman Caminer.
- CMLEO/DC/LP/63007 Lecture to H.M. Treasury, February 1959
- Draft of a talk 'Programming and Coding on LEO II' to be given as part of a lecture to the Treasury on LEO by David Caminer with John Pinkerton and John Gosden.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/RVS/1 American Tour, T.R. Thompson and O.W. Standingford, May and June 1947
- Photocopy of T.R. Thompson's report detailing his and Oliver Standingford's crucial first research visit for Lyons to the US in 1947. This is a key document in the history of LEO, we're very fortunate to have a copy here in the archive.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/ACC/1 LEO Trading Analysis 1953-57
- David Caminer's vast file of detailed accounts for the operation, maintenance and programming of the LEO computer from 1953 to 1957, with related internal Lyons correspondence. Covers 1953-1957, showing the development of the first LEO II machines.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/ITC/63046 Draft Notes on Tour of Installation, Bristol (20th Nov 1959)
- Incomplete draft of notes for an introductory tour of the LEO II/2 installation at the Imperial Tobacco Company - W.D. & H.O. Wills, Bristol, dated 20th November 1959.
- CMLEO/DC/LP/63047 Draft lecture 'With LEO now ten years old'
- Draft of an untitled, undated lecture, presumably by David Caminer, beginning 'With LEO now ten years old […]'. (Probably written in 1961).
- CMLEO/DC/CW/19640102 List of Principal Secretaries
- File copy memo from David Caminer to Sir Gordon Radley dated 2nd Jan 1964, enclosing a list of the Principal Secretaries and other senior members of the civil service who attended a lecture on Data Processing on 6th December 1963.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/LIT/63050 LEO Systems Research Job Requirements Statement for Littlewoods, May-June 1956
- Job Requirements Statements prepared by the LEO Systems Research Office for the Littlewoods Mail Order Stock Control job, with related correspondence.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH Other Computers (1948-1956)
- Large research file kept by David Caminer of diverse material relating to developments in computing elsewhere, including IBM, Cambridge (EDSAC), Elliot (405), Ferranti (Pegasus), MIT (Whirlwind), Harvard (Mark IV) and ERA (1103). The breadth of material in this file demonstrates how keen Lyons were, from the earliest stages of the LEO project, to keep informed of the latest concepts and technology in both the commercial and academic spheres.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/1 ACE Pilot Punched card, c1950.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/2 Punched paper tape (from unidentified system), c1950.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/3 Journal offprint: W.J. Eckert 'Electrons and Computation' The Scientific Monthly Vol LXVII, No 5 (Nov 1948).
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/4 IBM Selective Sequence Electronic Calculator, c1948-1950. Correspondence and publicity materials, including letters from Nigel A. Corke from the Lyons New York office, giving an interesting picture of the attitude of IBM at this point in development of computing: '… the idea of using this type of calculator in day to day commercial work did not seem to have been even considered over here. […] the idea of such a machine being used for the bread and butter work does not seem to have even entered the heads of I.B.M.' (From postscript to letter from Nigel A. Corke to David Caminer dated 19th April 1950).
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/5 Raytheon Computers, 1950-1951.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/6 AERE Electronic Digital Computer - Notes on Programming and Operating, c1950.
- File copies of extracts from press, 1951-1956. Typescript copies of articles from various publications relating to computing, prepared and distributed among the LEO staff for research.
- Manuscript research notes by David Caminer.
- Reports of visits by the LEO staff to other sites either with their own computer installations or for lectures/symposia on the subject of computer development.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/9 NPL, Aug 1951
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/12 Whirlwind MIT talk at Cambridge, 20 Mar 1952
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/13 Harvard Mk IV talk at Cambridge, 21 Feb 1952
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/14 EDSAC II talk at Cambridge, 8 May 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/16 Pilot ACE talk at Cambridge, 22 May 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/18 Static Magnetic Storage talk at Cambridge, 30 May 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/22 EDSAC II talk, and report from E.N. Mutch on developments in US computing following recent trip to many American computing projects in progress, Oct 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/25 Report on AIEE-IRE-ACM Conference at Cambridge, Dec 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/27 Automatic Coding and Applications talks at Cambridge, Feb 1953.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/28 NPL, Jan 1953
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/34 Progress at Cambridge, Apr-June 1955
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/38 Notes on ICI, Nov 1955
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/44 Visits to Elliot, Ferranti and English Electric, June-July 1956
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/11 Letter from Computer Research Corp, 27th February 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/15 Manuscript notes: Machine with Floating Point Facilities (c1952).
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/17 Brochure: ERA 1103 General Purpose Computer System (c1954).
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/19 Visit of S.N. Alexander, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, Sep 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/20 Visit of K.J. Leseman from Institut für Praktische Mathematik, Oct 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/21 John Pinkerton's notes on the Magnetron and Filter Networks, Oct 1952.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/24 B.T.M. Automatically Converting Binary Card Punch, Jan 1953.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/26 Addenda re: Storage by F.C. de Paula to his address to the Summer Course of the Institute [unidentified], Jan 1953.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/31 Photographic copy of article in German requested by John Pinkerton, Feb 1953.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/32 Draft or copy of paper "Automatic Coding for Sequence-Controlled Calculators", 3rd Mar 1953.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/36 Matrix Interpretive Schemes enquiry, July 1955.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/37 Friden Adder, Jul-Aug 1955.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/39 LEO team correspondence, Nov 1955-Jan 1956.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/41 Memo from David Caminer to Tony Barnes, 6th Feb 1956.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/42 Elliot 405 Computer, Dec 1955.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/45 "Growing Reliability of Computers" re: the English Electric DEUCE, Jul 1956.
- CMLEO/DC/WF/OTH/46 Notes on IBM Planning and Programming Facilities, Jul 1956.
Find out more about our Heritage Lottery-funded LEO project here:
Welcome to LEO
Posted by: Jude
Click for a larger version