Third Edition (September 1978)
I This edition, as amended by technical newsletter SN20-9303, applies to Release 1 of VSPC
FORTRAN, program product 5748-F02, and to any subsequent releases until otherwise
indicated in new editions or technical newsletters. Information pertaining to Release 2 of
VSPC is for 0S/VS2 MVS and OS/VS1 only.
This publication provides the tutorial and reference information necessary to
develop programs in the VSPC FORTRAN language under one of the VS
Personal Computing program products:
• VSPC OS/VSl (Program Number 5740-XR5)
• VSPC 0S/VS2 MVS (Program Number 5740-XR6)
• VSPC DOS/VS (Program Number 5746-XR3)
The material in this guide covers information necessary for a typical user to
run VSPC FORTRAN under VSPC. The information provided includes the
• The structure of VSPC, including workspaces, libraries, filenames, and
• Operation of terminals with the assumption that the user is typing
on the IBM 3270 Information Display System, on an IBM 2741
Communication Terminal, or on an IBM 3767 Communication Terminal.
A chart outlining essential information for all VSPC terminals is in
• Techniques of logon, error correction, and logoff
• Command language for designing, modifying, and running programs
• VSPC and VSPC FORTRAN programming considerations
• Description of the VSPC FORTRAN Subprogram Library
• Library maintenance, controls, file organization, and a sample session
Appendixes are included that contain information on the following topics:
• Data File and Program Conversion Considerations
• Device Dependencies
• VSPC Terminal Quick Reference Chart
• Mathematical Function Accuracy Statistics
• Batch Considerations
• VSPC FORTRAN Error Messages
The reader is assumed to be familiar with the FORTRAN IV language as
explained in the publication IBM System/360 and System/370 FORTRAN
IV Language, which is a prerequisite to this guide.
See VS Personal Computing (VSPC) Terminals for detailed explanations of
terminals supported by VSPC.
This document has recently been digitised and made available here. Digitising our collections requires significant resources. Please consider making a donation to the Centre if you download this document! The donate button is at the top of this page, by the search bar.
Reference Number : SH20-9062-2
Date Published : September 1978
Manufacturer : IBM
Format : PDF (190 pages)
This exhibit has a reference ID of CH9670. Please quote this reference ID in any communication with the Centre for Computing History.