28th January 2021
Since the previous update, the following has been scanned, catalogued and uploaded:
From Peter Bird's Research Collection: LEO Computers Ltd, Company Secretary's Papers, part 2
As reported in November's entry, I have now begun scanning and listing the LEO Computers administrative papers collected by Peter Bird. I have now added the following files to our online catalogue:
- 62459 Correspondence with M.A. Horta Severino, Roiz Limitada, Jan-Feb 1959
- 62460 Correspondence with the Board of Trade concerning waiving of 'Imperial Preference' for IBM equipment imported into Australia, Jan 1959
- 62461 Announcement of Powers-Samas and British Tabulating Machine Company merger, 30 Jan 1959
- 62462 LEO Computers Ltd Increase in Nominal Capital, Apr 1959
- 62463 Correspondence regarding Share Certificates for LEO Computers Ltd, June 1959
- 62464 Progress Meetings and Policy Meetings, 12 June 1959
- 62465 Schedule of Equipment Costs (Quotation) for LEO II installation at CAV, 16 Dec 1959
- 62466 LEO Computers Staff and Disabled Staff, 27 Jan 1960
- 62839 Maintenance Agreement Transfer, 3rd Feb 1960
- 62840 Appointment of J.S. Garner, Apr-June 1960
- 62841 South Africa telex, 18th May [1960?]
- 62842 Importing Anelex Synchro Printer, May 1960-1961
- 62843 Draft Budget Statement for an Australian Computer Service Bureau, 20th May 1960
- 62844 Draft Recommended Environmental Conditions for LEO III, 25th May 1960
- 62846 Rental Quotation for Dunlop, 7th Jul 1960
- 62847 Change of Registered Address for LEO Computers Ltd, 25th Aug 1960
- 62848 Legal Opinion on Copyright in Programming Languages, Jan-Feb 1961
- Interesting glimpse into very early 'IPR', showing the administrators of LEO Computers were interested in how they could protect LEO's own language, CLEO, as an asset of the company.
- 62849 Timetable for Consolidated Accounts, 23rd Feb 1961
- 62850 Reference for Arthur Payman, Feb-Mar 1961
- 62852 Report on Visit to Anelex Corporation, Jul 1961
- 62855 Hire of Kimball Calculating Equipment for South Africa, Sep 1961
- 62851 ECMA Technical Committee Report, Oct 1961
- 62853 Accountant Office Move, Oct 1961
- 62854 Lease of Minerva Road Offices, Oct 1961
- 62856 Chartering a Flight to South Africa, Dec 1961-Feb 1962
- 62857 Rank Xerox Demonstration, 18th Jan 1962
- 62858 US Visa request for T.R. Thompson, 9th Feb 1962
- 62859 Quotation for LEO III, Varimex, Poland
- 62860 Tenancy agreements for premises in London, 8-19th May 1962
- 62861 Subvention payments to Lyons subsidiary companies, Apr-Jul 1962
- This series of documents gives a brief window into Lyons' financing of LEO Computers. Apparently a considerable loss by LEO Computers Ltd in 1961-62 prompted a 'bail-out' whereby Lyons took cash via a number of 'subvention' payments from some of their other subsidiaries including Horniman & Co and Black & Green Ltd, both tea companies.
- 62862 LEO Computers Training, 23rd-27th Apr 1962
- 62863 Form M.2: Amendment to Authorised Specifications, c May 1962
- This document, an official amendment to earlier agreed delivery dates for specific LEO equipment orders, includes a very detailed distribution list with names and job titles, giving a good picture of the staff structure of LEO Computers at the time.
- 62864 LEO and the Managers assignment of rights, 5th June 1962
- 62865 Xerox Copier hire, 13th June 1962
- 62866 USSR Directory, June-July 1962
- 62867 IBM Equipment Hire Agreement, July 1962
- 62868 Bekhor correspondence regarding LEO Computers accounts, July 1962
- 62869 Telegraph Address for LEO Computers Ltd, August 1962-January 1963
- A lengthy series of correspondence demonstrating the determined attempts of LEO Computers Company Secretary Michael Holmyard to establish a unique telegraph address, and therefore an individual telecoms 'identity' distinct from Lyons, for LEO Computers.
- 62870 Draft quotation for LEO III, Redinacoes de Milho Brasil, 16th August 1962
- 62876 Additions to Marketing Progress Report, September 1962
- 62871 J.A. Wetton job application, October 1962
- 62872 Digitek 100 Optical Reader Specification, Oct 1962
- 62873 Quotation for LEO III, Arnhold & Co Ltd, Hong Kong, 8th November 1962
- 62874 Appointment of C.W.L. Wright, 9th November 1962
- 62875 Customs Duty on First Anelex Printer, 23rd November 1962
Foxed by foolscap..
The file continues into the mid-1960s, but unfortunately at this point Lyons evidently opted to switch to foolscap-sized office paper, and this means, as I am unable to currently access an A3 scanner (thanks to the pandemic), I will have to finish the file at a later date. Watch this space!!
Ernest Lenaerts LEO Correspondence and other papers (Manchester photocopies)
The project has been very fortunate to inherit a set of photocopies of some of the papers kept by founding LEO engineer Ernest Lenaerts, selected from original archive material donated by him to the National Archive of Historical Computing (as was) held at the University of Manchester Library. (You can see the originals catalogued by Manchester on the Archives Hub - ref. GB 133 EHL, although digital copies are not yet available there). They include a very interesting run of correspondence between Lenaerts and John Simmons (and others) at Cadby Hall while he was on secondment to the EDSAC team at Cambridge.
Apparently this set of photocopies was made at the request of LEO historian Peter Bird, whose research collection (see above) forms a significant part of the LEO Computers Society archive. The copies were sorted and numbered by Peter Bird, and I have kept the order he established while listing and scanning them. We are very grateful for the assistance of University of Manchester Archivist James Peters for facilitating the transfer of these papers to the LEO Computers Society archive.
Note: It is important to make it clear that Lenaerts' detailed reports/notes from Cambridge, often referred to as enclosures within these letters, were not actually included in the run of photocopies for some reason. The originals no doubt remain with the Lenaerts papers at Manchester, ref. GB 133 EHL/2 EDSAC.
- 62888 Lenaerts post-war work for Lyons, 1944-1945
- Lenaerts was recruited to return to Lyons after his time in the RAF during WWII. This file includes the first letter from Lyons Company Secretary George Booth to Lenaerts (dated 1st September 1944 - see pictured), the text of which was probably a template for inviting back ('when victory is won') many previous employees who had gained valuable experience during the war.
- Lenaerts reporting back to Lyons during his secondment to the EDSAC team in Cambridge:
Find out more about our Heritage Lottery-funded LEO project here:
Welcome to LEO
Posted by: Jude
Click for a larger version