Fifth part of a file of photocopies of correspondence between Ernest Lenaerts and his managers at Lyons - John Simmons, W.J. Edwards and T.R. Thompson, during Lenaerts' secondment to the Cambridge University Mathematical Laboratory, working as part of the EDSAC team under Maurice Wilkes.
Many of Lenaerts' original letters were written enclosing reports on the progress of the EDSAC team, but photocopies of the reports themselves were not included in this file of photocopies. Presumably the original reports are included in the archive copy held at Manchester, ref. GB 133 EHL/2 EDSAC.
- 121-122. Photocopy of a draft/file copy letter from Ernest Lenaerts to W.J. Edwards (Engineers' Dept, Lyons), 1st September 1948. [The original photocopy is very faint];
- 123. To Ernest Lenaerts from John Simmons, 3rd September 1948;
- 124-126. Ernest Lenaerts to John Simmons, 8th September 1948. [second page print through makes text very difficult to read];
- 127. To Ernest Lenaerts from Morley & Duke (electronics suppliers, Cambridge), 22nd September 1948;
- 128-129. Ernest Lenaerts to W.J. Edwards (Engineers' Dept, Lyons), 27th September 1948. [The original photocopy is very faint];
- 130-133. Ernest Lenaerts to John Simmons, 30th September 1948;
- 134. Ernest Lenaerts to Morley & Duke (electronics suppliers, Cambridge), 30th September 1948;
- 135-136. Ernest Lenaerts to W.J. Edwards (Engineers' Dept, Lyons), 5th October 1948;
- 137. To Ernest Lenaerts from W.J. Edwards (Electrical Dept, Lyons), 7th Oct 1948;
- 138-139. Ernest Lenaerts to John Simmons, 7th October 1948. [middle page found in unidentified fragments at end of file, now marked 138A];
- 140. To Ernest Lenaerts from John Simmons, 12th October 1948;
- 141-143. Ernest Lenaerts to John Simmons, 20th October 1948;
- 144-145. To Ernest Lenaerts from John Simmons, 22nd October 1948;
- 146-147. Memo/notes from Ernest Lenaerts to W.J. Edwards (Engineering Dept, Lyons), 4th November 1948:
- Preparatory Work for a Computer;
- Standard Test Equipment Required;
- Proposed Equipment to be Constructed;
- 148-149. Memo/notes from Ernest Lenaerts to John Simmons, 11th November 1948: Space for Electronic Computer, including [very faint] diagram of a possible installation;
- 150. Ernest Lenaerts to Mr Mayne, 19th November 1948.
Page numbers in red were added by Peter Bird.
Date : 1st September 1948 to 19th November 1948
Creator : Lenaerts, Ernest
Physical Description : 31 pages, paper; manuscript and typescript; photocopies
The photocopies were originally requested by Peter Bird, as part of his research for LEO - The First Business Computer, and later donated to the NAHC, then transferred to CCH at the request of the LEO Computers Society for inclusion in their archive.
Archive References : CMLEO/EL/CW/1/6
, CCH OE 778.121-150
This exhibit has a reference ID of CH62894. Please quote this reference ID in any communication with the Centre for Computing History.
This document has been scanned and is available to view online.
Estate of Ernest Lenaerts and Lyons copyright
File Size: 9.11 MB