Elliott Automation merges with English Electric
Elliott Brothers (London) Ltd was an early UK computer company, with research laboratories based at Borehamwood. The company produced many successful computers, changing its name to Elliott Automation Ltd in 1957. By 1961, the company supplied over half of the digital computers sold in the UK.
In June 1967, Elliott Automation merged with English Electric.
In 1968, the data processing computer part of Elliott Automation was, in turn, taken over by International Computers and Tabulators (ICT) in 1968 to form a new, combined company called International Computers Limited (ICL).
The real-time computer part of Elliott Automation was renamed Marconi Elliott Computer Systems Limited in 1969, and then GEC Computers Limited in 1972.
The final part of Elliott Automation, which produced aircraft instruments and control systems, remained part of English Electric.